Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Yey.... I didn't miss the fireworks

It's 5 minutes before 12 am when suddenly Naqib asked me if I wanted to see the fireworks.

"Tak nampak la, ade pokok kacau view KLCC."

"Bukan dari rumah la.. Kita naik kereta la gi somewhere."

Before my mom said yes, I grabbed my purse and handphone, screamed to Naqib to move his ass faster and we were on the way to Sunway. 2 minutes before the fireworks, we parked ourselves at a petrol station with few other cars.

In many months this was the first time I came out at midnight. This was truly merdeka. Suddenly I didn't want to watch to fireworks. I want to enjoy the moment. The moment that will be lost another 10 minutes.

After finishing my studies and back to my parents house, I was back with the curfew rules. After 4 years of rebellious, I miss my freedom. I miss the late night outings. I miss the midnight shows. I miss the premier night of a movie. I miss the late night supper at Hartamas. I miss the heart shape waffle at Hartamas. I miss the quiet and empty road at night. I miss wandering around Bangsar late at night. I miss the look at UM pak guard when I came in at 3am (before they became strict which was enforced last year. They spoilt my final year). I miss the eerie feeling when going to both 1st and 12th colleges' toilet at 4am. I miss driving around UM 3 times in 4.30am. Mostly I miss the driver that usually did all of above with me. (and yes, I'm a night owl. Definitely not a morning person.)

What merdeka means to me this year? I don't know. I never know what merdeka means to me personally. Pathetic. I don't know.

My life has always been restricted in any forms until I could mould myself into respectful woman (that's what I thought). That's was 4 years ago. Then I came to uni and life changed. I'm with Zainal, I had family feud and I gained my self-confidence and independent. But I still not that bad la if you looked from far. Inside, I had grown tremendously this last 2 years especially. Did I find my freedom? No, I'm still scared and still can't made any decision. And I'm still searching my self-freedom.

However, I'm happy and proud that my country has merdeka for 49th years... Happy Merdeka Day everyone.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...