Sunday, August 20, 2006

Why Mosquitoes Like Me Very Much

Everything in this world was made with a purpose by Allah. They might not directly useful to human but they might means a lot to other creature. So every fauna and flora in this world must be protected from exctinction.

If, I mean if, you were given a wish to make an animal, whether it's wild animal, insect or whatever under the animal kingdom to become exctinct and gone from this world, which one will you choose?

I obviously vote mosquitoes and ants (oklah, I pick two). However, mosquitoes will win my vote anytime. Mosquitoes must really hate me or love me (depends whether you are on my side or the insect's side). Whenever there's a mosquito, I'm the first person who will get bite. Before people realise there's mosquitoes in that area, I can know already by the red marks on my body. Experts have making a lot of studies about people like me. Here's a few that I managed to google.

"Experiments show that, like Rubenstein, some people are just irresistible to mosquitoes, and others, like her husband, don't have the same allure. It's not just a myth."

"Then there's your skin: Scientists have found isolated compounds on the body's largest organ that may attract different types of mosquitoes, depending on how the chemicals are combined. A blend of three--lactic acid, acetone, and dimethyl disulfide--is particularly appealing to the mosquito that carries yellow fever, says Dan Kline, a research entomologist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service in Gainesville, Fla. Mosquitoes from Brazil and the United States were attracted to slightly different combinations of these chemicals, he says, suggesting attractants also vary by geography.

They also vary by person. Takken's group just completed a study of mosquito appeal among 28 human volunteers. (They used a special chamber that funnels human scents to the mosquitoes but protects volunteers from actually getting bitten.) "There was a consistent difference in who was least attractive and who was most attractive," says Takken. "Some people simply produce more of compound X than compound Z." One study from Australia even suggests your genes may hold the keys to what makes a mosquito decide that you make a good meal."

-US News

Apparently Malaysian mosquitoes love me.

"Scientists do know that genetics account for a whopping 85% of our susceptibility to mosquito bites. They've also identified certain elements of our body chemistry that, when found in excess on the skin's surface, make mosquitoes swarm closer.

"People with high concentrations of steroids or cholesterol on their skin surface attract mosquitoes," Butler tells WebMD. That doesn't necessarily mean that mosquitoes prey on people with higher overall levels of cholesterol, Butler explains. These people simply may be more efficient at processing cholesterol, the byproducts of which remain on the skin's surface."

"Any type of carbon dioxide is attractive, even over a long distance," Conlon says. Larger people tend to give off more carbon dioxide, which is why mosquitoes typically prefer munching on adults to small children. Pregnant women are also at increased risk, as they produce a greater-than-normal amount of exhaled carbon dioxide. Movement and heat also attract mosquitoes.

-Web MD

I got high cholesterol on my skin? Might be, especially after I put on some weight lately. But the genetic part might be true too. But I get bite first than others in the family (exceptional if Naqib also in the range. He will get first, then only me).

Well, since no solid evidence has been discovered by the scientist, I might has to deal with all the mosquitoes which is biting me at this very moment. It's annoying especially when they buzzed at your ear when you are trying to sleep. The worst part is, I can't stand the smell of the insect repellant spray; I can get asthma attack. So my hope is depends on other mosquito repellent that doesn't smell so much especially those which use electric power.

By the way, I heard there's a plant that mosquitoes hate. If there is any, I really want it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...