Saturday, May 23, 2009

Coming back home

Finally my body is accustomed to Malaysia time. So I'm at my tanahair for 5 days already. Having a blissful time with my husband even though he has exams straight until next Wednesday. I don't mind as long as I'm with him. Even though I'm happy with my current situation but I still need to write down the experience I had during my journey back to Malaysia.

It started with a day before I was going home. I was supposed to return my lease car that evening but got lost while going there. I called the company to inform that I was lost and I might probably arrived late and please wait for me. But when I arrived there, they already closed and left me in the dark. What really pissed me off was I called to inform that I was late and pity my landlady who followed me to bring me home. I had to apologize to her many times for wasting her time and gas.

This event has lead to another problem for me as I have to catch a plane the next day and I have to settle this car before I went home. So early morning I had to ask my friend to pick me at Chapel Hill and send me home before I have to rush to airport.

Arrived at Raleigh/Durham International Airport, NC 1 hour 20 minutes before flight, rushed to check in, unpacked few pounds of overweight luggage and ran to the gate. After security checks, I thought everything went well.

Board the plane and arrived at Charlotte Douglas International Airport,NC at almost 2 pm. My next flight to Newark Airport, New Jersey (I don't know why people always thought this airport is in New York. It's not, it's in New Jersey and MAS only come here and Los Angeles Airport) was at 2.50pm. Then I found out that my flight was delayed to 4 pm. From Charlotte to Newark was around 2 hours flight so I probably arrived around 6 pm which gave me around 4 hours before my flight to Kuala Lumpur. Well, it's fine with me.

So I just hanging around at the gate eating tasteless chinese food and reading Sophie Kinsella's while watching people. 10 minutes before 4 pm I checked the display board at the gate and found out it was delayed to 4.30pm. Then after more waiting, they announced that we will board the aircraft at 5.15 pm and departed at 5.30 pm. I was restless at this time. My friend from Miami has arrived in Newark and I told him that I was delayed. He said never mind and be patient.

But then I found out that the flight was delayed again to 6.30 pm. If delayed to 6.30 pm, I'll be arriving in Newark at 8.30 pm which is less than 2 hours before my flight to KUL. I asked US Airways staff at the counter what's the problem that we have so many delays. She said because of the weather in Newark but when I said my friend had arrived there safely with no weather problem, she just dismissed me and walked away. I was furious at that time.

So I went to US Airways special services counter to ask if I can make it to my next flight. This time around the flight has been delayed to 7.30 pm. At this rate, I knew I might not make it to my next plane. The guy was so rude and all he said was he couldn't do anything and life must go on. WTH? Life must go on? (I remembered this clearly). I was tired, angry and PMS so I ran to a toilet and cried. Really hard.

I didn't know what to do at this point. I was away from my house (Charlotte to Durham is 3 hours away), I didn't know anybody at Charlotte and if I board the plane to Newark and missed the flight to KL, where should I stayed? The next flight from Newark to KL was 2 days away.

I called my friend that arrived in Newark and all he could do was tell the MAS officer that there is another girl that will arrived late. But what if I arrived later that 10 pm? Will the plane wait for me? Obviously no.

My mom called and I cried harder. She asked me to go to the US Airways to re-route me so that I can arrive Newark before 10 pm. He still said no and became even ruder than before.

Then I went to the US Airways ticketing counter and while waiting for my queue looking like shit after half hour crying, an Indian asked me where I'm from. I said I'm a Malaysian and I'm going home. Immediately he said he's a Malaysian too and he's in the same flight with me going back to Malaysia. He said, "Jangan menangis adik. I have a family here, we can go back to my house after we settle all of this."

At that moment I felt like Allah has send me helps in subtle ways. He canceled my ticket for KL, re-booked the ticket for Saturday and spoke for me all the way. Then he called his wife to pick us and bring us home.

Apparently his wife also a Malaysian but they have lived in US for almost 20 years. He wanted to go back to Malaysia after 6 years not visiting his family and now this stuff happened. He was angry too.

To tell the truth, he and his family was my life saver. I'm so grateful for meeting him and his family. They are such a wonderful people and I'm going to visit them when I go back this August.

So after buying new ticket to Malaysia and wasted USD380 on the canceled ticket, postponed my trip home by 2 days, I finally home. What a journey coming back home.

Ps: I won't take US Airways anymore after this. Period.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...